Ten years ago a group left Alice Springs on a two week speaking tour “From the Heart, For the Heartland”, with meetings in Adelaide, Melbourne, Canberra and Sydney. A follow up meeting was held later in Perth.
The group consisted of Traditional Owners and community representatives from four areas being assessed for the National Radioactive Waste Facility. The aim was to hold public meetings, media interviews and a photo and art exhibition to increase awareness about the dump proposal and build support from a broad range of people.
Along the way we met with many wonderful people and solidified networks that remain engaged in nuclear free struggles today.
Here are a few of the pics from along the way. The photo taken in the office has a sombre feel as it was taken on June 21 literally just after the extremely racist, draconian and far reaching Northern Territory Intervention laws had been announced.
The tour was a really important part of the campaign to stop the NT waste dump and was also an important foundation for the national campaign that was to come against the Intervention.
Friendships made along the way (two weeks in a mini-bus!) have endured.
As we reflect on the lessons from the successful NT dump campaign, thoughts are with Adnyamathanha people and the community around Kimba now faced with the same waste prospect and communities that continue to live under the Intervention today.
The proposal for an international high level nuclear waste dump in South Australia has effectively been buried.
A solid campaign was run by Traditional Owners, state and national environment groups and trade unions. 70% of the ‘Citizen’s Jury’ said it should not be pursued under any circumstances, backed up by 35000 signatures presented to SA Premier Jay Weatherill last week.
Weatherill has called for a statewide referendum on the issue, but knows this is highly unlikely to go ahead given the strong opposition from the (opportunistic) Liberals. Below is a statement issued by the No Dump Alliance after the referendum idea was announced.
Biggest respect and congratulations to friends, comrades and colleagues who have been working on this campaign tirelessly since March last year.
Now we must redouble efforts to stop the proposed national nuclear waste dump on Adnyamathanha land in the Flinders Ranges, SA.
MEDIA RELEASE- Monday 14 November 2016
Weatherill has turned his back on Traditional Owners over waste dump.
No Dump Alliance spokesperson and Narungga man Tauto Sansbury has come out swinging against Jay Weatherill’s announcement that he is continuing his push to turn SA into the world’s high-level nuclear waste dump.
“The high level nuclear waste dump is overwhelmingly opposed by Traditional Owners and the wider community and the Premier’s announcement is a divisive move to get his own way. It is deeply disappointing that Aboriginal communities must continue to fight this issue when we have so many other issues to deal with.”
The Community Views Report released on Sunday states: “Many [Aboriginal] participants expressed concern about the potential negative impacts on their culture and the long-term, generational consequences of increasing the state’s participation in the nuclear fuel cycle. There was a significant lack of support for the government to continue pursuing any form of nuclear storage and disposal facilities. Some Aboriginal people indicated that they are interested in learning more and continuing the conversation, but these were few in number.”
“Our people will continue to fight this nuclear waste dump proposal to the end,” said Mr Sansbury.
Ms. Karina Lester, Chairperson Yankunytjatjara Native Title Aboriginal Corporation (YNTAC) and daughter of Atomic test survivor Yami Lester said “We will stand our ground and maintain what we have said all along: “No waste dump in our Ngura (Country)”. I will take this to our YNTAC AGM and discuss with our members what the Premier is now saying, to run a Statewide Referendum, and rally my community to use our rights to veto and say no to this unjust and insane idea of storing and disposing of nuclear waste from other countries. South Australians have been engaged in his process and have strongly spoken up about South Australia, that it is too good to waste. This is not only South Australia’s issue and decision to make this is Australia’s issue. No means no.”
No Dump Alliance spokesperson and MUA Branch Secretary Jamie Newlyn was surprised by the Premier’s lack of political judgment by announcing a referendum into SA becoming the world’s Nuclear Waste Dump.
“Premier Jay Weatherill has proven politically adept at picking up on whether a policy will fly with the community, but on the issue of nuclear waste he has totally missed the mark.
The Citizen’s jury, Aboriginal community and tens of thousands of South Australians have made it clear that South Australia and Australia should not be the world’s Nuclear Waste Dump.
The economics don’t stack up, Safety of Workers and Community doesn’t stack up, Environmental concerns don’t stack up and ignoring Aboriginal concerns don’t stack up.
The MUA call on the Premier to abandon the case for Nuclear Waste and look for bold sustainable job creating ideas for our great state that we can all be proud of and support.”
More information at www.nodumpalliance.org.au
National Day of Action October 15*
o The Federal government wants to dump domestic radioactive waste from Lucas Heights in the iconic Flinders Ranges.
o In addition to this, the SA government proposes to bring one third of the world’s high level nuclear waste to South Australia.
Nuclear waste is a threat to workers, the broader community and the environment. It is a toxic burden for generations many thousands of years into the future.
Two separate proposals that would greatly impact communities and country are being advanced in South Australia.
The federal government proposes to locate a national radioactive waste facility in the magnificent Flinders Ranges. The plan is fiercely contested by Adnyamathanha Traditional Owners and local pastoralists and could greatly impact tourism in the region. The most dangerous of the waste is from the reprocessing of spent nuclear fuel rods used in the Lucas Heights reactor south of Sydney.
Meanwhile, the SA government proposes to import 138 000 tonnes of international high-level nuclear waste to SA, risking economic as well as environmental catastrophe. Up to $600 million would be spent before the decision to proceed is even made. The plan requires a dedicated deep-sea port and up to four other waste dump areas across SA, including interim storage for at least 50 years and eventual burial of low, intermediate and high level waste. The plan will impact a vast area and many communities.
We need to move away from dangerous dinosaur industries like coal and nuclear, toward a renewable energy future with jobs in regional and remote areas.
Join people around the country on October 15 to say ‘Don’t nuclear waste Australia’.
Events are currently organised in Adelaide, Sydney, Melbourne and Perth. Submit your own event here.
* October 15 marks 63 years since the first inland atomic bomb test at Emu Field in SA.
SOUTH AUSTRALIA CURRENTLY FACES THE VERY REAL THREAT OF NUCLEAR WASTE DUMPING.
DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE GOVERNMENT IS PROPOSING?
DO YOU HAVE UNANSWERED QUESTIONS?
DO YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE?
Exposure 2016 in Port Augusta will help highlight the facts we know and the answers we need.
Right now plans for both national and international radioactive waste dumps are being actively pursued in S.A.
1. In April the federal government selected Wallerberdina near Hawker in the Flinders Ranges as a possible site for a national low and intermediate level radioactive waste dump.
2. In May the SA nuclear Royal Commission recommended that developing a high level international waste dump be “pursued as soon as possible”. The SA government is consulting with communities and will make a formal response before the end of the year.
These plans and decisions would directly affect the future of all of us. It is time to gather the facts and get informed and active!
Exposure 2016 will hear from health and economic experts, Traditional Owners, pastoralists, tourism operators and others affected by these proposals.
SA’s sorry nuclear history began with atomic bomb testing in the 1950s. These caused widespread sickness and deaths and the impacts continue today. There is no safe level of radiation exposure and no safety guarantees with nuclear waste.
Exposure 2016 opens on Friday night with ‘Talking Straight Out’, an exhibition showcasing the earlier Irati Wanti campaign. Senior Aboriginal women from Coober Pedy, the Kupa Piti Kungka Tjuta, took on the federal government and won. They stopped a radioactive waste dump from being built in northern S.A.
Click here to RSVP to the Talking Straight Out exhibition (in addition to your RSVP for the Exposure 2016 weekend)
Saturday and Sunday will involve a mix of formal and informal sessions and workshops. There will be a focus on:
-Explaining the two dump proposals – what they would involve and mean
-Traditional Owners’ voices and rights
-Radioactive impacts on people and the environment
-What does a high level nuclear waste port and dump look like?
-The economics and impacts on our industries including tourism, farming and recreation
-Flinders Ranges/Wallerberdina nuclear waste dump proposal
-Working together and taking action
-Speaking out and being heard
People are welcome to join in different sessions, wander through the stalls and displays, ask questions, take part in workshops and collect resources to take home to your community.
Everyone is welcome at this free event. It will be held at the Institute Theatre, Commercial Rd and at Gladstone Square in Port Augusta. Lunch and refreshments will be supplied on both days and on Saturday night there will be a shindig.
See the full Exposure 2016 program.
Please RSVP to show your interest, save the date in your calendar and let your community, family and networks know about this event. And please get in touch with us if there are ways you would like to contribute, if you have any questions or suggestions for topic areas.
Phone: 0435 590 374
Exposure 2016 is supported by Conservation Council SA, No Dump Alliance and GANG, with consultation and drive from communities across SA.